Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Thoughts from a Stylist

Over the years, I've had several things happen and I've sworn at some point in time I'd "have my say" or address it and let it work itself out.  But instead, I've decided to post and maybe people can see things from a stylist point of view.
1.  I work very hard for very little money.  I don't think I charge enough in most cases.  I do this job because I love it, and I try to keep my prices low because I know most people work hard for their money, but don't try to make me feel guilty when I do charge you appropriately for a foil job and it's still way cheaper than you would have gotten anywhere else.  My prices are posted and adjusted on the length and thickness of the hair & the number of colors used.

2.  Don't message me or email me for free hair advice and then go pay someone else to do your hair.  I have been burned by that too many times, and from now on, unless you are one of my loyal customers I will ask that you call for a consultation unless it's a very generic question.  Free hair advice would take up all of my time if I let it, and I need to pay my bills.  Would you like it if I asked you to do part of your job for me for free??  It does hurt my feelings if I've spent 30 minutes or more and 5 emails replying thinking I've got a potential customer only to see 3 days later she's gone to a different salon and posting pictures of something I told her to do and paid someone else to do it!!  And likely paid more than I would have charged!

3.  Please don't ask me to donate or sponsor your charities if you don't patron my business.  I support my customers and their causes.

4.  If my customers do business with me, I will do business with them.  That's just the way I work.  But be warned..... once it stops, if someone else in the same business as you is a customer of mine & you have left me, this customer who is with me will get my business.  It's only fair.  I will do business with those doing business with me.  You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours!!  If I don't have a customer in my chair, I don't get paid!

5.  Please understand if I don't respond to a text, I have a shop phone.  I don't answer my cell phone during work.  I feel it's unprofessional and it's just difficult for me to handle it during a color or cut.  The business phone is easier.  Please use it during business hours.  (334)446-0465.  Also, please understand it's easier to discuss appointments over the phone, and I'd prefer phone calls over emails!!  HINT!

6.  Saturdays are by appointment only!!  Appointments must be made by Wednesday or there won't be any Saturday appointments.

Please understand, I have a family too.  Your work days may end at 5pm or so.  Mine sometimes don't end until 8pm or after.  I have to get my son off to school.  We start at 6am and often I get in just in time to kiss him before he's completely asleep, or close just in time to rush and pick him up from karate.  Standing 10 and 12 hours a day makes for an exhausting day.  So, I do require an extra day every now and then.  Tuesday's being closed doesn't necessarily mean I'm "off".  I am picking up supplies for the shop, getting Trey for piano and karate, and trying to get shop towels cleaned for the week.  It's not down time for me.  So understand.  It's not the usual "close up and forget it" job.  People call me and want an appointment all hours of the day, 7 days a week, even at 10 and 11 o'clock at night.  It's not something I ever get to escape.  I don't mind it, I love my job!!  But understand too, that sometimes I feel certain clients don't realize how they come across.  They demand I immediately fit them in and get in a huff when I can't do it at the last minute!  They fail to realize they are not my only client.  I wish I could fit everyone in whenever they wanted, but I can't even give my family the time they demand sometimes.  All I want to do is crash when I get home.  I don't feel like socializing and when the weekend gets here, I want to sleep!  So please understand I have a multitude of customers, and  I do go out of my way to accommodate everyone's schedule.  Every minute of my job is spent trying to please someone.  I try very hard to do that.  I LOVE what I do.  I just hope everyone understands where I am coming from when I say "I need you to understand ________".

No comments:

Post a Comment